Thursday, June 23, 2011

More tours, more food.

Tuesday, we headed downtown to the New York Public Library, which is a regal, beautiful building right behind Bryant Park (which is much tinier than I had pictured it being). I snapped a couple of group shots on the steps while we waited for the library to open:


Once inside, we were led around by a spry older lady who loved, loved, loved the library. The place is huge inside, and houses some incredible artifacts, like one of the few remaining Gutenberg Bibles, Malcom X's journal from his pilgrimage to Mecca, and the original Winnie the Pooh characters which were given to Christopher Robin by his father after being purchased at Harrods in London (photo below).


After the library, we got lunch at Le Pain Quotidien, where I ate a delicious egg salad and drank a nice cool mint tea.

A tour of the United Nations was up next, and I realized I had actually known very little about the UN. We actually got to walk across the top of the General Assembly room while they were in session! Very cool.
Following our morning of touring very distinguished institutions, we indulged our inner children with a trip to Dylan's Candy Bar, which is owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter, Dylan. It was sort of disgusting how expensive the candy was here, but Danielle picked up my and Alexa's tabs for being the designated trip group photographers. We also had ice cream in a giant cupcake! I had pancake and syrup ice cream, which is one of the best ideas ever thought of.


I then proceeded to gorge myself on expensive candy for the rest of the day, which resulted in unpleasantness.

Wednesday we visited the American Museum of Natural History, the place where the movie "Night at the Museum" takes place. There were dinosaurs galore, and really interesting exhibits on the history of African and Asian peoples and mammals. We saw a cheesed out Imax movie about dinosaurs of the sea (which I didn't even know existed!) and felt like kids running around the museum, oohing and ahhing.

Olivia knew of a great restaurant nearby, and so we trooped over to Peace Food Cafe. Oh. My. God. This is in the running for best meal of the trip. They are a vegan restaurant where they serve as much fresh, natural food as possible. The decor was lovely and inviting, and the overhead speakers played Kate Bush as we chowed down.


I had the most incredible broccoli mushroom puree, which I added siracha and balsamic to, and split veggie dumplings with Olivia. I could have licked my plate it was so good.

After walking up Amsterdam for a while, which is full of amazing looking restaurants, we headed back to I-house to get ready for Cinderella at the Lincoln Center.

Everyone headed to the ballet looking snazzy in dresses and heels (except the boys, obvi), and I was in awe of the theater, which had gorgeous, modern sunburst-esque chandeliers, red velvet carpet and gold accents. The ballet itself was a modern interpretation of the classic story, and I plan to write a full review of it because I have a lot to say. It really made me miss dancing, and I was frustrated when I realized I couldn't name off all of the steps in my head (what the hell is a pa-de-shaw!? I can't remember!)

Pictures of us in all our finery will follow!

We headed back to the Upper West for drinks and a light meal after the show, and then I slept like a baby, listening to the rain pitter patter outside my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment