Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm running out of creative titles.

Sunday started with a Chelsea morning. We walked the High Line and visited the Chelsea Market. The High Line was not at all a traditional sort of park. It actually used to be an elevated railway for freight trains, but stopped being used in 1980. The railway has been turned into an elevated park/walkway on the west side of Manhattan.
Really unusual flowers growing on the High Line.

A billboard showing what the High Line used to look like.

After walking the length of the High Line, we all descended to the Chelsea Market. It was smaller than I expected, but jam packed with amazing food stores and restaurants. A group of us ate at The Green Table, which I had of course researched and had read that they had one of the greatest grilled cheese's in the city. I couldn't resist.

Raw milk white cheddar and fig preserves sandwiched between thick slices of white bread.

I also had a basil infused limeade, which is probably the most interesting thing I've ever drank (besides straight Southern Comfort in Sara's basement when we were 16 and didn't know about chasers yet).

After the feast, we got popsicles from People's Pops. I had a sour cherry and plum pop. So good!

Then we hunted vintage for a while, but got let down by high prices. Not everywhere is Lansing, MI's thrift avenue.

Monday was yet another full day, starting out at the Moma, or Museum of Modern Art, where we received the best curator-led tour of the trip yet, saw the original Starry Night, as well as Matisse's, Picasso's and Warhol's. I was completely geeking out. We didn't have nearly enough time here, so I am going to go back with my Mom next week when she comes to get me!

We walked a few blocks down from the Moma to the Conde Nast building to meet with two MSU PW alums who work there now. I don't know why I was expecting older people, but when Jena and Marissa greeted us, they said they had graduated MSU in 2008 and 2009 - making them just a few years older than us. Despite being young, both women are amazingly accomplished and high up in their respective divisions of Conde Nast. It was so cool to see real live graduates with my degree (or at least half of my degree) successful and happy. But their descriptions of the cut-throat publishing culture made me very glad I've chosen to work in the non-profit world.

After our meeting with the PW alums, we all gathered for free pizza and Ghostbusters back at I-house. I had never seen it before and was highly entertained. Then I hit the books for a little while before retiring relatively early.

No comments:

Post a Comment