Sunday, June 5, 2011

Is this real life?

Last night, as Caitlin, Cara, Vanessa and I stumbled around Hell's Kitchen's bars, I blurted out that I had never felt cooler in my life. We then took a moment to laugh at the almost unbelievable program we've gotten the chance to be a part of - a month in the city with barely any schoolwork that will leave us with eight credits and a lifetime of memories. Is this real life? Yes, yes it is.

Hell's Kitchen, despite it's name, was surprisingly ritzy. That's why when we found a bar named Rudy's advertising $5 for a beer and a shot of whiskey, we were overjoyed. Then, when we actually entered the place, passing the life sized plastic pig statue outside the door, we discovered this was not the only incredible deal offered to its patrons. We split a $7 pitcher of house beer ($7 DOLLARS!) and all received free hot dogs. WHAT?! Then we took advantage of the deal we'd seen advertised on a flimsy poster from the street. This was after sharing a pitcher of margaritas at a bar a few doors down, so I was feeling pretty good by the time I polished off my hot dog.

Rudy the pig, overseer of the incredible $7 pitcher deal. (Photo c/o Vanessa)

Next up was the tiniest little Italian cafe where a nice old Italian lady was hawking wine deals from the doorway. The only seat available was the window table, and Vanessa and I were trapped between window and table until our bladders demanded otherwise.

We finished the night by sharing a Guinness float with vanilla ice cream at yet another bar, Southern Hospitality, which had Johnny Cash lyrics in huge, 3 foot light-up letters winding their way around the bar's ceiling. Yes, I walked around the entire place reading them. Vanessa and Cara made friends with the nose-ringed bartender, Jonathan, who promised to take us out next Saturday night.

We walked our way back to Times Square to catch the 1 back up to Morningside Heights, and made friends with a nice older lady on the train. Cara rested her sleepy head on my shoulder, but then snapped to attention when a full band (saxophone, washboard, drummer and tuba) burst into our car playing "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga. At 3 am. I love this city.

Yesterday before our excellent Hell's Kitchen excursion, we set off with the entire group and Danielle to see Times Square. Meh. It was everything I expected it to be, which was flashy, loud, and overcrowded with paparazzi-esque tourists. Not my kind of place. We then found a humongous street market on 6th Ave where a few of us bought cool dresses and I pigged out on the largest gyro I've ever laid eyes on.

Feet of friends, Times Square.

We took a stroll through Central Park, and unbelievably ran into a friend we'd made on the train, a fast talking Irish guy traveling the US with nothing and no one but a full backpack and nearly empty wallet. It was so mind boggling to be in the same place as him out of the million places we could have been and he could have been in the city. The world is a strange place.

The day concluded with the amazing adventure I've described above, and I slept hard and happily until about 11 am this morning. Then it was up and at 'em for our fourth day in the city.

I began my day solo with a walk to a deli on Broadway where I decided to leap head first into the experience that is a bagel with lox. I regret having it the morning after having sushi for dinner followed by heavy drinking, because all I could think when I was eating it was how much it tasted like a giant Philadelphia roll on a bagel. Weird.

I had invited a few girls in the group to join me in exploring the 25th street flea market, an activity I would have done alone even if no one had wanted to join me. But alas, our group ended up in the double digits, and we inevitably got lost on the subway (my fault). After we finally arrived at the flea market (where I did a dance of salvation), I felt in my element again, and I walked around mostly by myself, unable to hide my goofy-happy smile. I walked out with about 20 old photographs for $15 (a reeeeally good price from my etsy comparison shopping) and a hilarious floral bubble skirt dress that had to have been a 90's bridesmaid dress in a previous life.

I was pretty wiped out from the subway fiasco and the market, so a few of us stopped in at Bluedog Cafe for coffee and a small bite to eat. It was adorable. There were probably 30 sandwiches on the menu, mini quiches and huge cupcakes in the display case, and delicious, huge iced coffees. I keep thinking how if any of the places I've eaten at in the past four days were located in Lansing or Grand Rapids they would be the absolute shit and everyone would eat there and talk about them and they would be like, the gems of the city, but here they're just another cafe on another street in a another district. It's mind boggling and incredibly exciting. Delicious uniqueness at every street corner.

After purchasing two more floral dresses I do not need at the Goodwill next door, and narrowly skirting a near fist fight over used shoes, we headed back home. So. Exhausted. A quick nap prepared me for a sophisticated night of white wine, pasta and live jazz at Pisticci, the Italian bistro right down the street from I-house. Vanessa, Cara and I truly felt like we were on Sex and the City, sipping drinks, having witty conversation and flirting with our baby-faced waiter.

The adorableness that is Cara, and my fork on the way to my mouth. (Photo c/o Vanessa)

Another incredible couple of days in the city. I can't believe it's only been four days that I've been here - it already feels like a new sort of home. Tomorrow kicks off the start of actual coursework (though the course work consists of reading short stories, visiting historic cathedrals and watching New York inspired films...) so I'm hitting my concrete bed early tonight.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment